{ WHAT YOU MAY HAVE MISSED...... }

{ WHAT YOU MAY HAVE MISSED... }

An Ode to the Flapper Girl

If you've seen many of the headbands & hats in my children's line you know I love large head pieces, feathers and pretty much everything flapper style.  

I was in need of some creative inspiration last night and did some research on flapper fashion and found some fun information and photos I just had to share.

File:Saturday Evening Post cover 2-4-1922.jpg

Do you ever feel like you were born in the wrong era, like maybe something about you just doesn't fit with the time you are living in?

When I think of living in another era, the 1920's is where my mind immediately goes.

I often wonder how fabulous it would have been to live in an era that saw so much change for women (and of course fabulous pearls and feather boas), but then I think about having to live through the Great Depression that followed the 20's and living in that time suddenly becomes less appealing.


According to Wikipedia, "Flappers were a "new breed" of young Western women in the 1920s who wore short skirts, bobbed their hair, listened to jazz, and flaunted their disdain for what was then considered acceptable behavior. Flappers were seen as brash for wearing excessive makeup, drinking, treating sex in a casual mannersmoking, driving automobiles and otherwise flouting social and sexual norms."

Flapper

A few fun facts I learned about the Flapper era were:
-This was the time High Heels came into style
-Flappers made the word "Jazz" popular in the context of referring to something fun or cool
 -Flapper girls were not just an American thing, other countries such as Japan, Germany, England and France had their own flapper girls dressing fabulous and daring to boldly rebel against their own social norms
-Flappers made the raised hemline (right at or barely above the knee) acceptable for the first time

Flapper

~ flapper ~

The feathers and styles of the era have inspired so many of my designs.  Especially our Peacock feather headbands and feather hats, and after looking through so many fun fashion photos of the time I have some really wonderful inspiration and ideas in my head for some future pieces.... now I just have to get to work and put it all together! 

Here are a few of my favorite flapper inspired designs....
Funky Peacock Feather Hat-turquoise, brown, purple, feather hat, fascinator, peacock Pink Satin, Feather & Lace Beanie-pink, feather, hat, beanie, lace
black gray feather headband Antique Sparkle Jeweled Headband-gold, black, silver, antique, vintage 
 
Peacock Feather & Lace headband 1

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Dear! Beautiful post! I've come to your lovely blog from Vanessa's Halloween Party blog roll...
    It's so nice to "meet" you! ♥♥
    I'm looking forward to the celebration! (Now following you, as well!)
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, if I could choose an era to live in it would be the 1920s and 30s as well!

    Hitchcockeque

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post! You should definitely check out the Ziegfeld Follies and the designer Erte--they were the hit of Broadway at this time period, and really had some gorgeous and over the top costume pieces! Their motto was "Glorifying The American Girl," and you'll even find some classic movies that showcase some of the styles they and others used at this time period. We love the 20s, and are decorating our living room to resemble a 1920s cabaret right now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...